Re: (.au) Recomend modems please

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> At 03:04 PM 8/19/98 +1000, David Ford <ddf@comdyn.com.au> wrote:
> >Michael Firkins wrote:
> >
> >>                       Subject:                              Time:  1:31
> >> PM
> >>   OFFICE MEMO         (.au) Recomend modems please          Date:
> >> 17/8/98
> >> Hi.
> >> Australian Hylafax users: can you recomend modems available in Australia
> >> for reliable use with Hylafax? I am putting together a couple of
> >> servers and I've run out of previously reliable Simplemodem 144f's
> >> If someone has put together a faq on this please refer me to it.
> >> Please note that US modems are not always available here, and may
> >> perform differently here due to the vagaries of our local phone
> >> network, which is both better and worse than the stateside one.
> >>
> >> please and thanks,
> >>
> >> Michael
> >
> >Unfortunately I can't recommend a Netcomm SmartModem M7F.  We tried and
> >failed.  We're casting about for a more compatible modem, so if you find
> >another class 2 that will send "fine" mode faxes please let me know.
>
> Hmmm, this is strange, because I have found Netcomm SmartModems usable with
> HylaFAX...

Yup, thought it odd at the time, however an AT&F'ed M7F gets an "Unspecified
Phase B error" where the receiving fax simply appears to hang up just before
beginning to send the fax image.  We plugged in a Class 1 modem (clone brand)
and all was well.  Rather than burn time on the M7F we declared it unusable.
I'd love to see your configuration settings to see if they'll work with us.  If
they do it'll save us buying a Zyzel or other recommended modem to get Class 2
support.
Best regards

David
David Ford                     |     Project Manager
Commercial Dynamics            |     02 9954 8216
L5, 100 Mount St, North Sydney | fax 02 9954 8250
NSW 2065                       | Australia   +61
http://www.tradingpost.com.au  | ddf@comdyn.com.au
 In the future,                | History is bunk.
 history will be big.          | Henry Ford
 David Ford  - Jan 1998        | 1863-1947