Re: How to control idle state?

Nico, I've had a very similar problem (see message to the list as of
last Friday).  I was not able to get the Sportster (33.6) to work as a
class 1 (serial buffering too slow) or class 2.0 modem, and it doesn't
support class 2.  After grabbing a $25 modem that uses a Rockwell chip,
class 2 fax out works, but i have the same problem with mode switching
back to data.

It would be useful if somewhere in the docs there were some sample
config.ttyXX with corresponding getty.ttyXX files, since they need to be
coordinated if faxgetty is used.

It may be possible to forgo using faxgetty if you get just the right set
of entries in config.ttyXX, but all that is in the list archives are
snippets of commands that various people say work.  I spent about three
days on this, and never hit the right combination.

If you find a way to get the same modem to work both as fax send AMD
data receive, especially using a USR Sportster, I'd sure like to see
your config files.  Call me day or night.  (The $25 modems say
"CREATIVE" on the case and go up to 19200 for data.  According to the
guys who purchased them, most of 'em actually work.)

If no one offers any workable advice via this list I think that using
two modems to share the same phone line, one for fax out, and one for
dial up, no faxgetty, is going to be my solution.  Haven't tried it yet,
but it should work.

Good luck.

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

--