trace debugging help?

I'm installing HylaFAX v4.0pl2 on Solaris 2.6/ultra 60 using gcc 2.8.1
(with the hylafax-gcc-2.8.x.sh patches).

I can talk to the modem fine with tip.  I set up hylafax outgoing
only, with no other monitors interfering with it, but it can't seem to
talk to the modem (multitech 5634zbav).  Right after a I do a send,
the modem lights briefly flicker, then nothing, then a message from
Hylafax that repeated attempts to initialize the modem have failed.

There are no new files in /var/spool/fax/log, even though my config
file sets ServerTracing to 11.

Can someone advice me how to proceed from here in my troubleshooting?

Thanks.

--gary
Gary Sabot              |  Voice:    (781) 647-7776
Sabot Associates, Inc.  |  FAX:      (781) 647-7779
10 Carroll Circle       |  Internet: gary@sabot.com
Weston, MA 02493  USA   |