Re: hfaxd exits

> I just subscribed to this mailing list, and I suspect that
> my question is answered in the archives. My ISP doesn't have
> reverse DNS, so ftp.celestial.com won't let me log in.

Change ISP;  failure to configure in-addr.arpa. properly is extremely common
amongst rogue sites (spam senders) - it makes it more difficult to trace the
offender and delays cancellation of their service; I have a feeling it
is a violation of the internet standards; in any case you will find that
a lot of site won't talk to you.

> Anyway, my problem is that on my new RedHat 5.0 system hfaxd
> exists as soon as I start it. In /var/log/messages I find
> the following message:
>
> Feb 20 16:02:28 plum HylaFAX[11471]: getpeername: Socket operation on non-socket
>
> strace produces the following:
>
> getpeername(0, 0x8077d4c, [16])         = -1 ENOTSOCK (Socket operation on non-socket)
              ^____ standard input

That would probably happen if you tried to run in daemon mode, but
configured for use from inetd.  Also, without valid in-addr.arpa (or
/etc/hosts equivalent) you are going to get problems with getpeername,
although they may not be fatal.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions