Re: Problems with german umlaute

David Woolley wrote:

    Note I haven't bothered to preserve 8 bit characters here; they are in
    MIME QP format.

    N.B. Although both mail examples are broken, there is also a bug in
    Hylafax (char assumed unsigned).

    I think your problem is in the following:

    djwhome:/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util$ grep -n charwidth TextFmt.h
    62:    TextCoord charwidth(const char c) const;
    68:inline TextCoord TextFont::charwidth(const char c) const { return widths[c];
    }
    djwhome:/usr/src/hylafax-v4.0pl1/util$

    On a machine that has signed chars, the array index will index before the
    start of the array for non-ASCII characters.  That means you will get bogus
    widths for the characters and it will think the line has overflowed. I'd
    guess that unsigned char would work, and int might also be OK.

    You didn't say what machine you were using though!

This bug was fixed in pl2:

kant:/home5/guru/hylafax-v4.0pl2/util $ grep -n charwidth TextFmt.h
62:    TextCoord charwidth(const char c) const;
71:inline TextCoord TextFont::charwidth(const char c) const { return widths[(unsigned const char) c]; }
kant:/home5/guru/hylafax-v4.0pl2/util $

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions