Re: Adding headers/footers

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Aldo Ramos wrote:

> Nico Garcia wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Aldo Ramos wrote:
> >
> > > Where would I look for information on adding headers/footers to received
> > > pages? I would like to identify the filename of the fax being printed,
> > > so I can save it if I deem it important.
> >
> > It's the "faxrcvd" command you want: Read The Fine Manual to see how
> > to tweak it.
> >
> Let me clarify further:
>
> I want to print the filename on the fax page (i.e., on the hardcopy). I
> can't find any information on the fax2ps commands, etc for embedding
> this information.

Oh. Hmm. This is trickier: you wish to actually edit the graphical
file, merging the image of the file name onto the received fax
image. I thought you wanted a flag sent to the FaxMaster with the
filename.

This is trickier than you may realize: it's certainly possible to slap
a Postscript image of the title onto a Postscript rendered fax, but
those things are *huge* compared to the original tiffg3 file. I would
look into the ImageMagick tools, available at
	ftp://ftp.digex.net/pub/X/contrib/applications/

They have commands like "convert" and "merge" for turning things into
different formats and melding them together. convert does not do well
with tiffg3 (it winds up looking distorted and ugly), and I haven't
spent time trying to get it to work better. But it might be feasible
to slip in a tagline this way.

> I know it's available on the faxinfo section, but I don't want to wade
> through tons of e-mail notification, or print a separate header page. I
> want to just add the filename somewhere on the printout; e.g.:
> 	/var/spool/fax/recvq/fax000017.tif Page 2 of 7

Instead, I've installed some of the web-based tools for doing faxstat
and grabbing files as necessary. I've also tweaked faxrcvd here to name
the files *.fax instead of *.tif so the web browsers know that they
need a tiffg3 capable viewer to see it directly.

> I am converting from VSIfax, and we currently have this printed on every
> page; I need to have this so anyone can identify a given fax, and
> save/move it, etc. Can HylaFAX do this?

This is a separate task than receiving/handling faxes. I recomend starting
with the cute little web tools at
	ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/contrib/

> There's no mention of header/footer data in faxrcvd man page, nor in
> fax2ps, which is where I would have expected to find it.

You'd basically have to extract it with the "faxinfo" command or from the
logs. fax2ps is not really designed to operate stand-alone (although
I *think* the changes needed would be modest). But I recommend against
doing fax2ps as a preliminary stage: your files will be big, especially
if they have any graphics, and it will be painful to deal with.

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu