problem sending faxes with hylafax

I just tried to switch from mgetty+sendfax to hylafax for outgoing faxes, but
I can't make it work. Mgetty's sendfax has no problem sending faxes to any of
the machines I regularly fax to, but hylafax cannot seem to make a connection
to any "ordinary" fax machines -- it can only get connections to other
fax-modems.

I'm using hylafax 4.0.1, with a GVC 14.4k faxmodem.

I've traced the communciation with the modem, and the only thing I can see
different between mgetty+sendfax and hylafax is that mgetty+sendfax does
something special about DCD (honouring DCD transitions, whatever that means).

Also, I've tried using minicom to issue the exact same commands to the modem
that hylafax does, and I can connect. It seems that only hylafax cannot make
the connection.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any more information I can provide
to help diagnose the problem? I checked the mailing list archives, but
couldn't find any reference to this problem (aside from an "unspecified phase
B error", which is sometimes the error I get. But I also get "no carrier"
after hearing the modem squawk alot to try to connect, and sometimes I get a
"COMREC error").

--
Scott Barker
Linux Consultant

[ I try to reply to all e-mail within 3 days. If you don't   ]
[ get a response by then, I probably didn't get your e-mail. ]
[ Unsolicited commercial and junk e-mail will be proof-read for US$100 ]

"The first rule of magic is simple.  Don't waste you time waving your hands
   and hopping when a rock or a club will do."
   - McCloctnick the Lucid

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions