Re: HylaFAX Documentation

Gabriel Fernandez 4-6518 wrote:

    Hi everyone:

    On Jun 5,  9:57pm, raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu wrote:
    > Fernande, some of *have* created such notes. Take a look at
    > http://cirl.harvard.edu/~raoul/INSTALL-sunos4.1.x-v4.0pl1.php for
    > my latest notes. That web documentation is based on Matthias's
    > Solaris notes, which reside at ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/binary/
    >-- End of excerpt from raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu

       I guess I was not completely clear in my mail. What I wanted to point out
    where two things:

       1) Even though there is a "lot" of documentation where you can go and get
          your answers, HylaFAX lacks of a _simple_ bullet-proof installation
          procedure that provides help for "all" users.

What do you mean exactly by "all" users? A user who can't read
the existing information or a user who don't *want* to read
the existing information (the second one should not use UNIX or
HylaFAX, and he/she should go and buy plug&play software)?

          I think that Linux users are the most affected given the nature of the
          configuration of the different distributions.

I think also that a lot of Linux users are coming from a "PC-background"
(opposite to others coming with mini- oder main-frame background or
are system- or computer-engineers). Many of them used DOS, Win or
Win95 before and now want to see/use a *real* operating system
(as UNIX or Linux are) with a shell and a commandline interface,
without drug&drop and all these nice but useless things. That's good
and will help to bring real computer-technology and knowledge to folks.
The problem with that is they are sometimes unfamilar with the idea
"read before play" (e.g. read and think before you are move a file
around with the mouse).

       2) The location of that information is not 100% reachable. When you tell me
          to go to http://www.doc.com/a_lot_of_info, that does not necessarily
          mean that I am gonna get it. Right now, I don't have a dialup service
          at home. Therefore, I have to wait until I go to work to browse for info.

The FAQ and the man pages in PostScript (e.g. in printable form)
are both ready for down-load and local browsing/printing at
sgi.com.

          If the distribution had a simple installation guide with the most common
          problems for the most sensitive platforms, that would be very helpful for
          a lot of people.

       Once again, the fact that I am asking does not mean that I am gonna get. :-)

Whatever usefull things folks want to write will be added to the
source tree.

	matthias

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions