Re: [hylafax-users] SendEmail

On 01/20/2011 02:41 AM, Flavio Miranda wrote:
Hi Stefan,

Thanks !

Actually, I have no preference for any MTA,  SendMail was working fine  and  Postfix I was receiving following error:

 19 15:53:57 asterisk postfix/smtp[9359]: 79CBF54E4D7: to=<root@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, relay=mx.a.locaweb.com.br[186.202.4.42]:25, delay=562, delays=562/0.01/0.22/0, dsn=4.7.1, status=deferred (host mx.a.locaweb.com.br[186.202.4.42] refused to talk to me: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx])

Att,

> From: stefan-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> To: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:41:14 +0100
> Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] SendEmail
>
> > then I'd suggest looking in aptitude under the mail-transfer-agent
> > virtual package to see if sendmail is listed as installed there, also
> > look under hylafax and see what it depends on. if it depends directly
> > on "postfix" and not "postfix | mail-transfer-agent" then report a bug
> > to debian. though it's possible that the maintainer only wants to
> > support postfix, in which case you are left with installing hylafax
> > manually from sources, which is what i do anyway.
>
> I haven't checked in detail, but as the debian hylafax packages work
> flawlessly together with exim4 as the selected mail transfer agent (debian
> lenny, setup with aptitude) I don't see such a package dependency with
> postfix.
>
> However: If the original poster installed everything via a meta package,
> there may be that hylafax was installed automatically via package
> dependencies. In such a case one has to double check that packages needed
> are marked to be kept. With aptitude this can be done very nicely.
>
> Anyway I have a question to the original poster: Is there a certain reason
> that you want sendmail as your MTA? The newer ones as postfix or exim4
> provide the same capabilities and are much easier to configure. (Ever hacked
> sendmail.cf?) For the sake of compatibility they provide a 1:1 replacement
> of /bin/sendmail, so you don't need to change other programs or scripts.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Stefan

> *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sales@xxxxxxxxx*

I think this is getting too much into configuring the MTA itself, rather than about hylafax.
Anyway:  mx.a.locaweb.com.br is simply telling you that it won't deliver mail for XXXXX.com.br.
You have to configure postfix (configured as a smarthost, it seems) to autenticate or/and come out with a domain
mx.a.locaweb.com.br will accept/can resolve.
Moreover, if the problem is the MTA itself and hylafax itself is acting as expected, your best bet is to ask on the postfix community or like someone said, use the MTA you are confident with.

On a system(ARM/Ubuntu 9.04) I have handy:
**********************************
sudo apt-get install sendmail
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  m4 make procmail sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf sensible-mda
Suggested packages:
  make-doc sendmail-doc rmail logcheck resolvconf sasl2-bin
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  ssmtp
  m4 make procmail sendmail sendmail-base sendmail-bin sendmail-cf
  sensible-mda
replacing the MTA will not touch hylafax itself on my system.
Bye

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions