From: Jim Nikelski <jnikelski@xxxxxxxxx>
To: hylafax-users <hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, December 15, 2010 12:47:29 PM
Subject: [hylafax-users] PCI or PCIe DB-25 serial cards?

Hi List,

   I'm looking for a recommendation. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 and
trying to get the hardware ready for an uneventful Hylafax install. I
previously tried to install a USB modem, and ran into some driver
issues, so I decided to go with an external serial modem (seems to be
the safest option).  I'm currently looking at the MultiTech
MT5634ZBA-115V, which is external and supposed to be v34.fax capable
... but it also requires a 25-pin DB-25 *serial* port.

    Now the problem is that most motherboards made in this millennium
lack a serial port (especially of the rather exotic 25-pin variety),
so I suppose I'll need an expansion card.  I've got 1 free PCI and 1
free PCIe card slot ... but I can't find a serial expansion card, with
support for a DB-25 connector anywhere. Does anyone know where I might
find one of these things? Does anyone have any experience with the
MT5634ZBA-115V and Hylafax?  Any suggestions would be very
appreciated.

Thanks,

-jim