Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax using LAN SIP trunks

> Not necessarily, but HylaFAX needs access to modems.  Since I suspect
> you're talking about iaxmodems the answer is that the iaxmodems really

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Have too many things going at once.

> If you were to use t38modems between Asterisk and HylaFAX (and not
> iaxmodem) then you could probably do it as you're suggesting.  But I've
> never had much luck trying to get that configuration (Asterisk -->
> t38modem) working.

I've not heard of t38 virtual modems?
For years, I've been using asterisk systems with SIP trunks to my audiocodes PRI gateways for VoIP and faxing.
Works perfectly, never had a problem. Thing in, in some cases, I just want to build a fax server, no need for all of the asterisk setup but I do it because it's easier to quickly set up the iaxmodems, etc.

I'd like to build a centos system which has iaxmodems, hylafax and avantfax, without asterisk.

> therefore fax audio data will get lost.  This is why iaxmodems should be
> run on the Asterisk server where the PSTN connections are.

My PSTN connections are all on PRI gateways. All trunks are SIP on my network, to all of my servers.

> If your SIP gateway supports T.38 then you could use t38modem instead of
> iaxmodem... in theory.

Yes, the gateway does have full T.38 functionality.

It doesn't seem that I need anything other than the usual iaxmodems since that's always worked fine for me.
I've not heard of T.38 modems on centos before?