Re: [hylafax-users] The old faxing a landscape document

John Warren wrote:
I've been reading much about this and have yet to find out how to solve the faxing landscape documents problem. If I take a document created out of Access 2007 in landscape format the stock Hylafax system just faxes it as a portrait document with the image rotated and cutoff on the right.

The only blanket solutions of which I've yet heard involve something outside of HylaFAX... typically scripting-in pdftk or ImageMagick tools to rotate the image either prior to submitting it or to rotate the image from within FaxModify.

Undoubtedly there is some auto-rotation solution to be had with a Postscript method to be used in the Ghostscript invocation. This is why HylaFAX+ has a FIXEDWIDTH='bin/auto-rotate.ps' feature for FaxModify... however that currently only works for a limited variety of source documents. (It won't work for everything right now.)

The "best" that you can typically get from stock HylaFAX right now is to set FIXEDWIDTH=-dPDFFitPage (in FaxModify), and to recognize that landscape pages will merely be shrunk to fit rather than rotated.

Since I found that I could detect if a document was landscape I pass the document through pdftk and had it rotate the document 90 degrees then passed it to hylafax. I've check the output from pdftk using Acrobat reader and the file looks exactly how I expected it to look. It's a portrait page with the image rotated 90 degrees. Problem is that when it's faxed I get the following reject message in the COMMID file.

Oct 14 17:09:57.26: [18651]: Client does not support document page width, max remote page width 1728 pixels, image width 2236 pixels

Ghostscript problem. You probably are using something like Ghostscript 8.15 and should upgrade it.

Thanks,