Re: [hylafax-users] MT9234ZBA-USB and Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)

Jim Nikelski wrote:
(6) sadly, the patches included with the MT9234ZBA-USB were created in
2008, and are out-of-date (i.e. poorly written udev rules, use of the
old (no longer used) hotplug system, etc) [bad]

It's unfortunate that the patches were not submitted by the manufacturer to the Linux kernel development team for inclusion into the kernel proper. If that had been done then the maintenance would be "self-administered" by the kernel developers going forward.

(7) an attempt to merge the MTS patches with the current driver source
results in patch errors. Manually merging somebody else's old driver
patches is beyond my pay-grade, so the kernel module cannot be
rebuilt. [bad]

I believe that this is a task for the manufacturer.

I suppose that as the world moves away from
serial ports, an increasing number of modems are going to be USB ...

I assume by "serial ports" you mean external serial ports (the DB9 or DB25 kind), because even the USB device has a "serial port" that it provides to the system in order to access the modem. So your statement here is that the world is moving away from DB9/DB25 connectors to USB connectors, and I suspect that this is true, although it's very inexpensive to just purchase a PCI/PCIe serial port card and still have the DB9/DB25 interfacing... OR to use a PCI/PCIe serial modem.

so Linux distros are going to need to cope with these devices (and
manufacturers are going to have to supply current drivers

I don't mean to belittle their efforts at all, but Linux distros themselves don't do much in the way of coping with these devices. The coping with devices is more a function of the Linux kernel developers working with manufacturers or with those who are very motivated in seeing a manufacturer's products supported.

Manufacturers tend to be motivated by business interests, and it's difficult for manufacturers to be motivated by the relatively slim profits to be made in selling USB modems to Linux fax users. Manufacturers have just-as-easily dismissed the Linux community to avoid needing to develop solid Linux drivers. One only needs to look at Conexant/Linuxant fax support in Linux to see what I mean.

Help? Suggestions?

Use a Linux distribution version that works with the manufacturer's patches or distributed driver module OR get a different modem.

Thanks,