Re: [hylafax-users] Problems in Debian and dgcmodem

On Friday 10 Sep 2010, Ilan wrote:

> I recently installed a USB modem which was promised by the store to
> "work in Linux", and it appears to be based on Connexant chipset.

Oops.  That's already not a good sign .....

> I installed the DGC driver from linuxant, and it loads fine.

Except, being a closed binary-only driver, even if it *doesn't* crash the
kernel, it will still only ever do what they want to let you do with it.

You aren't going to like me for saying this, but the fix for your situation
is:  get a proper modem.  One which has a proper RS232 port and doesn't
require any drivers.  I suggest you take the thing you were sold back to the
shop, and ask for your money back.  A *real* modem should work with a dumb
terminal.  Anything that doesn't, is borrowing your computer to do some of
the work that the modem should be doing for itself.

--
AJS
(Originating address does not accept e-mail.  Insert a figure "one" before the