[hylafax-users] Problems in Debian and dgcmodem

Hello to everyone,

I'm having a weird problem with hylafax... I searched the documentation and FAQs but didn't see any info on this problem...

I'd love to get the opinion of someone who has experience with hylafax and knows its inner workings.

Background:

I have a headless server machine that runs Debian lenny.

I recently installed a USB modem which was promised by the store to "work in Linux", and it appears to be based on Connexant chipset.

I installed the DGC driver from linuxant, and it loads fine. Now I have a /dev/ttyACM0 to work with.
To test it, I launched minicom, and managed to issue AT commands, such as connecting to another modem, etc. (just like in the old days of BBSs :) )

The problem:

I installed hylafax using apt-get, but during the faxaddmodem step, it gets stuck in "Probing for best speed to talk to modem" and doesn't do anything else.

The docs suggest using cu to test the modem, but cu's output is:

steve:~# cu -d -l ttyACM0 cu: fconn_open: Opening port ttyACM0 (default speed) cu: fsserial_open: Baud rate is 115200 cu: fconn_set: Changing setting to 0, 0, 2

And nothing else... I have to Ctrl-C it twice to get back to a prompt.

Note that I have chown'ed the device to uucp:uucp (it was root:dialout), and also tried to chmod it to 777 (temporariliy) to see if it helps. It does not.

Pasted below is the otput of faxaddmodem.

it strikes me as extremely weird that minicom works while cu doesn't... does this mean anything?

Can someone please advise me what checks I can do to figure out what is wrong and to get faxaddmodem to work?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Ilan.

steve:~# faxaddmodem Serial port that modem is connected to [ttyS0]? ttyACM0

Ok, time to setup a configuration file for the modem.  The manual
page config(5) may be useful during this process.  Also be aware
that at any time you can safely interrupt this procedure.

Reading scheduler config file /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.

No existing configuration, let's do this from scratch.

Country code [1]?
Area code [415]?
Phone number of fax modem [+1.999.555.1212]?
Local identification string (for TSI/CIG) ["NothingSetup"]?
Long distance dialing prefix [1]?
International dialing prefix [011]?
Dial string rules file (relative to /var/spool/hylafax) [etc/dialrules]?
Tracing during normal server operation [1]?
Tracing during send and receive sessions [11]?
Protection mode for received facsimile [0600]?
Protection mode for session logs [0600]?
Protection mode for ttyACM0 [0600]?
Rings to wait before answering [1]?
Modem speaker volume [off]?
Command line arguments to getty program ["-h %l dx_%s"]?
Pathname of TSI access control list file (relative to /var/spool/hylafax) [""]?
Pathname of Caller-ID access control list file (relative to /var/spool/hylafax) [""]?
Tag line font file (relative to /var/spool/hylafax) [etc/lutRS18.pcf]?
Tag line format string ["From %%l|%c|Page %%P of %%T"]?
Time before purging a stale UUCP lock file (secs) [30]?
Hold UUCP lockfile during inbound data calls [Yes]?
Hold UUCP lockfile during inbound voice calls [Yes]?
Percent good lines to accept during copy quality checking [95]?
Max consecutive bad lines to accept during copy quality checking [5]?
Max number of pages to accept in a received facsimile [25]?
Syslog facility name for ServerTracing messages [daemon]?
Set UID to 0 to manipulate CLOCAL [""]?
Use available priority job scheduling mechanism [""]?

Your facsimile phone number (+1.999.555.1212) does not agree with your
country code (1) or area code (415).  The number
should be a fully qualified international dialing number of the form:

+1 415 <local phone number>

Spaces, hyphens, and periods can be included for legibility. For example,

+1.415.555.1212

is a possible phone number (using your country and area codes).

The non-default server configuration parameters are:

CountryCode:            1
AreaCode:               415
FAXNumber:              +1.999.555.1212
LongDistancePrefix:     1
InternationalPrefix:    011
DialStringRules:        etc/dialrules
SessionTracing:         11
RingsBeforeAnswer:      1
SpeakerVolume:          off
GettyArgs:              "-h %l dx_%s"
LocalIdentifier:        "NothingSetup"
TagLineFont:            etc/lutRS18.pcf
TagLineFormat:          "From %%l|%c|Page %%P of %%T"
MaxRecvPages:           25

Are these ok [yes]?

Now we are going to probe the tty port to figure out the type
of modem that is attached.  This takes a few seconds, so be patient.
Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to the port, or the
modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and cable up the modem
or turn it on, or whatever).

Probing for best speed to talk to modem: