Re: [hylafax-users] Agere Lucent Chipset

> i didnt understand what you meant by live UART. Can you
> please guide me the procedure in which i can use it??
> The problem is found only when using with faxgetty.

Rajan,

today most of a modem's signal processing is done in software. The modem
hardware barely contains the line interface circuit and the analog-digital
conversion. All remaining signal processing and low level protocol
implementation is then done by software.

Stand alone modems do this "on their own". They contain a cpu and send
decoded data via the host interface (either serial, USB or PCI).

So called "Win" modems don't contain a cpu. The signal processing is done by
the host cpu, the software routines necessary are part of the Windows
driver.

If you want to use such a modem with any other OS, e.g. Linux (or BSD*, Mac
OS etc.) you have to implement all this low level signal processing. This is
not trivial in any way, but the implementation of the fax standards is even
more difficult than the simple bit transfer ("plain modem") itself.

I learned from the recent discussion, that the fax parts of the "reinvented"
driver code seems to be at least beta code, if not more (e.g. being in an
early alpha stage). Even if develpoment continues and it won't crash
anymore, I would not expect superior performance on bad lines too soon.
Making signal processing software thar really works isn't an easy job.

And as the modem's signal processing qualities are crucial to your fax
servers performance, you should really consider purchasing a quality stand
alone modem with a serial (tty) interface.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Stefan