Re: [hylafax-users] german umlauts

* Bernhard Schrader (b.schrader@xxxxxxxx) [20100414 08:49]:

> if I commit "echo $LANG" I get the output POSIX
>
> if I commit "locale" I everything is POSIX except LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8

Then you're running the script as root as that is the typical setup for the
root account.

> export LC_ALL=ISO-8859-15
> export LANG=ISO-8859-15

See what locale says on a normal user account.

> maybe this isn't the best way? :D

You don't want to set LC_ALL and you should keep in mind that there are
still quite a few scripts that fail to work as expected when the locale is
something other than ASCII (which POSIX implies) spcially concerning the
sort order.

I'd rather check the mail and see if the mail header has a correct charset
entry as I assume that mail2fax does regard the charset set for a mail. If
indeed it does depend on the set locale I'd call that broken.

Philipp