Re: [hylafax-users] how to clean root mailbox

On Monday 29 Mar 2010, Kane Wong wrote:
> Hello;
>
> I found that my /var/spool/mail/root mailbox has a lot of content, how can
> I erase them.  I believed this is a mailbox to receive some kind of
> notification whenever I sent fax or receive fax.  The mailbox has 51199748
> bytes, I want to clean it but how?

To just read the messages:
# alpine
(or whatever terminal mail client you use)

To get rid of them:
Stop sendmail  (or whatever MTA you use),
# cp /var/spool/mail/root /root/mailbox_backup
# echo -n "" > /var/spool/mail/root
and start sendmail again.

For a longer term fix,
# echo "root:fred" >> /etc.mail/aliases
replacing "fred" by a usable login name.

--
AJS