Re: [hylafax-users] multitech modem dropping DTMF digit

Hello...

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 21:48 -0700, Lee Howard wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
> > minicom output:
> > 1: info
> > OK
> > ATI
> > MT5656ZDXV
> >
> > OK
> > AT
> > +FCLASS=?
> > 0,1,1.0,2,8,10
> >

> > 2: Broken DTMF via minicom
> > RING
> > AT+FCLASS=8;
> > +VLS=1
> > OK
> > ./.4.9.~./.8.~
> >

> > 3: Good DTMF from other modem
> > RING
> > AT+FCLASS=8;
> > +VLS=1
> > OK
> > ./.4.~./.9.~./.8.~
> >

> This latter one is how it should be, marked with / and ~.  The "broken"
> version is missing some markers.  This is a bug in the modem.  But
> HylaFAX could be made to cope with it in this particular case.  (See the
> attached patch).

This is actually good to hear.  If the problem had been on the cisco
side, I suspect things would be more difficult.  Unfortunately this
modem is brand new and already has the latest firmware.

> In the IS-101 specification there is a provision whereby the modem can
> inform the DTE (software) how long the DTMF was present.  It does this
> by repeating the DLE+digit within the / and ~ markers.
>
> In this particular case HylaFAX could be made to cope because the
> "repeated" digit is not the same.  It changes from 4 to 9, and so it's
> easy to see the modem's mistake here.
>
> However, if the DTMF digits had been 448 instead, and if the same error
> happened, then there's no way to know if the modem was trying to say
> that it heard one 4 and one 8, but that the 4 was present for twice as
> long as the 8.
>
> I don't know if that makes sense.

yes it does make sense.  Unfortunately, my production range is from
600-899.   Sending a fax that was destined for HR or Finance to someone
else, "would be bad".

> So the untested patch (attached) will work fine as long as the DTMF
> digits are different from each other.  If the DTMF digits are "444" then
> it won't do much good.

I'll give it a shot to verify your code in case someone needs it in the
future.  I'm going to steal a modem from a different (non fax) server
and try it.

> Thanks,
>
> Lee.

Thank you!