[hylafax-users] multitech modem dropping DTMF digit

Hello...

 I have and existing hylafax setup that has been working well for a
while (years but with slightly different setups).  The current
incarnation is a PRI -> cisco router (conf below) -> VWIC -> modem ->
hylafax(4.4.4).  I get DTMF and can route the fax using the called
number.   The Hyla fax config is below.

Now I am trying to add a second modem, but it seems to miss the second
digit in the DTMF stream.  The new modem is a MultiTech MT5656ZDXV and
minicom output is below

The fax number in this example ends in 498.  The modem only gets the
first and last digits.
syslog:
Mar 23 12:09:55 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: STATE CHANGE: RUNNING -> LISTENING
Mar 23 12:09:55 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: --> [4:RING]
Mar 23 12:09:55 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: <-- [19:AT+FCLASS=8;+VLS=1\r]
Mar 23 12:09:56 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: --> [2:OK]
Mar 23 12:09:56 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: MODEM HEARD DTMF: 4
Mar 23 12:09:57 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: MODEM HEARD DTMF: 8
Mar 23 12:10:07 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: MODEM TIMEOUT: reading from modem
Mar 23 12:10:07 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: ANSWER: Call ID 1 "48 "
Mar 23 12:10:07 qwip FaxGetty[20881]: STATE CHANGE: LISTENING ->
ANSWERING

Question goes here:

Does anyone know why this multitech modem cannot get the DTMF data?
When looking at a call with minicom the output seems "funky".

Hylafax config:
# Generic Class 1 modem configuration.
RingsBeforeAnswer:     0
ModemType:             Class1
Class1Cmd:             AT+FCLASS=1
Class1PPMWaitCmd:      AT+FTS=7
Class1TCFWaitCmd:      AT+FTS=7
Class1EOPWaitCmd:      AT+FTS=9
Class1SwitchingCmd:    AT+FRS=7
Class1RecvAbortOK:     200
Class1FrameOverhead:   4
Class1RecvIdentTimer:  40000
Class1TCFMaxNonZero:   10
Class1TCFMinRun:       1000
# magic below
CallIDPattern:         SHIELDED_DTMF
CallIDAnswerLength:    3
ModemRingResponse:     AT+FCLASS=8;+VLS=1 # Not sure where I got this
ModemAnswerCmd:        <delay:100>AT+FCLASS=1;A
# end config

minicom output:
1: info
OK