Re: [hylafax-users] sendmail script help and permissions

>     Thanks again for your advice.  And it seems this SHOULD be working correctly, however when the mail hits the server I recieve this in the maillog:
>
> Mar  4 13:26:56 hylafax sendmail[3757]: o24IQtlH003755: to=<(faxnumber)@fax.mydomain.com>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=fax, pri=237064, relay=18776564330, dsn=5.3.4, stat=Service unavailable
> Mar  4 13:26:56 hylafax sendmail[3757]: o24IQtlH003755: o24IQulH003757: DSN: Service unavailable
>
> I am bouncing mail off our primary mail server into this server using qmail smtproutes.  But the fax server currently resides behind a firewall.  So I opened port 25 to the fax server and put in DNS fax.mydomain.com as the firewall static IP so mail gets delivered to it, and it does.  To make the fax server think IT is fax.mydomain.com I added it to the host file with the private IP of the fax server, which seems to work,   I am not certain however that this configuration is whats causing the problem, however I don't see how it could since locally it believes it isfax.mydomain.com regardless of the DNS.
>
> Any other suggestions?

Are you really using "fax.mydomain.com" or a real hostname?  If you're using fax.mydomain.com, what happens if you 'telnet fax.mydomain.com 25'? Do you get an SMTP greeting?

When you try to send an email to faxnumber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx are you still seeing the "dsn=5.3.4, stat=Service unavailable" problem?  If so, it sounds like something in sendmail isn't configured properly.

Dave