Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax 4.4.4

* Robert Becskei <robert.becskei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [090226 08:29]:
> Hello,
>
>  I finaly managed to get it working.
>
>  The problem it seems some companies have no direct fax line, but rather have a direct line to secretary and then
> he/she forwards the fax call to the internal fax machine. The problem with this is that some secretaries are not
> compatible with fax signals so to say, because the moment they hear PEEEEP they put the phone down. Now I would like to ask maybe there is a way to tell hylafax when sending fax...in case of voice is detected play a wav file to remote client. Like give me fax or prepare to be terminated :) .

There is a way to play a sound file via modem commands.  From the man page:
	http://www.hylafax.org/man/4.4.4/hylafax-config.4f.php

    The ‘‘<play:filename>’’ escape can be used to play a raw audio file with a
    voice modem. This feature can be used, for example, to play a brief audio
    message after picking up the line but before answering. A configuration
    example may be:

	  ModemRingResponse:  "AT+FCLASS=8;H1\nAT+VSM=131\nAT+VLS=1\nAT+VTX\n<waitfor:CONNECT><play:/sounds/enter-extension.raw><waitfor:OK>AT+VTS=[933,,150]"
	  ModemAnswerCmd:     "<delay:100>AT+FCLASS=1;A"
	  CallIDPattern:      SHIELDED_DTMF
	  CallIDAnswerLength: 4

Unfortunately, "detecting" if you need to *on send*, and doing that isn't going
to be easy.  In fact, the *standard* way of saying "give me a fax machine, I
have a fax", *is* the guard tones a sending faxmachine plays... That's the
"beep <pause> beep ..." that any fax machine generates when they start trying
to send a fax.

Those guard tones *are* what say "this is trying to be a fax".  Trying to
detect a voice, and then just play a message requesting a fax is going to
defeat any fax-detection out there, which is expecting a fax machine to blindly
be beeping at it/them.  So, to work around the (very few) secrataries that
don't know that fax beep means a fax, you're going to break any and every
automated answering/forwarding service out there that keys on the beeps to
switch to fax.

I think a better course of action would be to try and educate the secretary
you've found that doesn't know the fax beep to recognize that that beep is a
fax machine trying to send a fax.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103