Re: [hylafax-users] T.30 T2 Timeout, Digital Phone Lines and Modem Speed

Brad Stevens wrote:
I'll have to differ to all the others who answered this problem in the
past, as they found the problem I just passed it along.  The good part
is Hylafax works great with the Multitech. The bad part is that older
versions of Hylafax used to work great with the old USR modems.
Something changed that made the USR compatibility go downhill fast.

While older versions of HylaFAX worked better with USR modems by default there were still many problems when using USR modems that could not be overcome. One major issue that we were dealing with in the Class 1 protocol was the issue of how to guarantee the amount of silence on the line (audio) before responding to a signal by the remote system. In old versions of HylaFAX this was accomplished with a software pause. However, the software doesn't know what's going on with the audio itself - that's the modem's job. And, we discovered that in many situations the modem would respond with an "OK" after receiving a signal before the line actually went silent. Consequently, the concept of a software pause guaranteeing any particular period of silence on the line was regularly flawed.

We tried playing with the length of the pause... increasing it, generally. But then we found that as we increased it we would break protocol in situations where "OK" did occur close to the point in time when silence began. So we had to turn to the modems and rely on them to tell us when a particular amount of silence had passed. Many Class 1 modems have a command for this, AT+FRS (to receive silence) and AT+FTS (to send silence), some however do not. USR modems claim to have this support, and it works much of the time, however, it tends to cause the USR firmware to crash over time, and it causes more problems for USR modems than it resolves. So USR modem users have to return to rely on the old software pauses.

So there's a period of time when the "default" HylaFAX installation and configuration for USR modems had them relying on AT+FRS/AT+FTS and so if you happened to develop your modem config file based on those prototypes you would need to manually alter them to get back to the software pauses... or you'd need to re-run faxaddmodem after upgrading HylaFAX to a recent version where the default config has them using software pauses.

You can configure a USR modem "correctly" now and you can get back to a reliability level that even exceeds that of the "old" versions of HylaFAX to which you refer. For many people this will be more than good enough. However, due to the inability to guarantee periods of silence on the line you'll never be able to match the reliability level that you can get with now with a modem that properly implements AT+FRS/AT+FTS.

Thanks,