Re: [hylafax-users] share incoming faxes on samba

On 11.02.2009 at 10:46 Travis Risner wrote:

> I am looking to allow windows users to access a samba share that holds
> the incoming faxes.  I am running into permissions problems though.
> The samba share looks like this in the smb.conf file:
>

> [FaxIncoming]

>     path = /var/spool/hylafax/incoming

I wouldn't try to open this directory as a Samba share, because, among
other thinks, it's where faxcron does its work, and I really wouldn't
try to mess around with that. Besides: if someone deletes a fax that is
not to deleted yet, you, as the responsible admin, might get into deep
trouble.

I was facing the same server side situation and I solved the problem by
using ACL and the FaxDispatch script:

I created a new directory that is shared by the windows clients and I
tuned the ACL on that directory, so that every newly created file
belongs to a user and group that can be accessed by the windows client.
And I gave writing permission to the user uucp. (That's the user id that
Hylafax uses.)

Then I configured Samba to inherit ACL (inherit acls = yes). Then I set
up FaxDispatch to place a pdf converted copy into that directory.

That's all. Now I get a PDF copy from every incoming fax into the Samba
share and the original file still is available, just in case.

--
Wolfgang Klein  ,_,   DE - Paderborn
PGP-Schlüssel  (o,o)  PGP-key is