Re: [hylafax-users] probelm in receiving fax

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, Sumit Shah wrote:

Hi Siri,

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Siri Vias Khalsa <
sirivias.khalsa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 No carrier detected means that the sending server was unable to negotiate
a fax connection.

What could be the reason for this?

Can not lock modem device - does the uucp user (that hylafax normally runs
as) have permissions to /dev/ttySX?

User uucp has read and write permission over ttyS0 [root@rhel-4 dev]# ls -hl ttyS0* crw------- 1 uucp uucp 4, 64 Jan 29 13:57 ttyS0

Any guesses from David.

rgds,
sumit

It could be a modem problem. I don't use the USR modem so I can not be much help there. I did notice your config file has:
ModemRate: 19200 # rate for DCE-DTE communication
and it must be at least as fast as the DCE-DCE communication. Since your modem purports to be a 56K, perhaps raising the ModemRate to 57600 would help. I suppose the 56K refers to bits and the modem converts but it can't hurt to increase the ModemRate.

How did you make the config file? If you used faxaddmodem, it should have guessed most things properly but not knowing anything about the modem puts me on the sidelines, not in the game.

Dave

--
David Forrest
St. Louis, Missouri