Re: [hylafax-users] Problem while receiving faxes from hardware fax machine when behind a PBX

Matthieu Perineau wrote:

Hello Everybody,

I’m running an Hylafax server under Debian Linux.

Hylafax version is 1:01.03.00.99.svn.300-12 and Capi4hylafax version is 1:01.03.00.99.svn.300-12.

The modem used on this server is an RNIS Eicon Diva Server BRI-2M 2.0 PCI, the drivers are Diva4Linux_installer_8.5-108-106.

Of course I use capi4hylafax to use it with Hylafax.

The Hylafax server is connected to a direct RNIS line (no PBX).

In general, everything works fine, I can receive faxes and send faxes.

But sometimes, people from the outside cannot send me faxes. After some tests, I have determined that it only happens when their fax machine is behind a PBX.

When that problem happens, there’s nothing in hylafax or capi4hymafax logs, as if no communication was detected.

On the other side, their fax machine displays the « no response » error and tries to re-send it again and again, but always fail.

Do you know what problem can it be and maybe an option or something else to solve this problem ?

In the good old days a FAX machine behind a PBX sued to work pretty well. If the PBX was connected to the PSTN by a digital trunk it used to be rock solid. These days a lot of PBXes are things like Asterisk boxes, and FAXing can be very hit or miss. They may have timing problems in their PSTN trunk setup. There may be some low bit rate codecs involved in the path between their FAX machine and you. Unless things have seen set up by someone competent, don't expect too much.

That said, you can easily check if the problem truly lies in the remote user's PBX setup by asking them to FAX to and from some other location. You'll probably find that works as poorly as FAXing to and from you.

Regards,
Steve