Re: [hylafax-users] Scanner to fax resolution problem

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

> 2009/1/8 Frank Millman <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

[...]
> Well, you *will* find lots of people who complain that their PDF and
> Postscript documeents "don't look good" when faxed,
> *especially* when the original uses colour and shading, as Ghostscript
> does a very poor job of rendering them...  If you search the archives
> for that vein, you can see the various things people have tried to do
> to make GS render their stuff better.
>
> And because tiff2fax relies on GS to re-render the tiff when the
> resolution/size is wrong, it suffers from all the pitfalls GS does ;-(
>
> One thing you might try doing is using "convert"
> (ImageMagick) instaad of tiff2ps/gs  in tiff2fax.  Be careful though,
> convert sucks *gobs* of ram, especially when working on multi-document
> tiff files.

I had a quick look, but I don't understand it enough to figure out which of
the myriad of options I am supposed to use.

See my reply to Lee - there are a couple of other approaches which look
promising. If I don't come right, I may return to this sub-thread for a
quick tutorial on ImageMagick.

Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated.

Frank