Re: [hylafax-users] Scanner to fax resolution problem

2009/1/8 Frank Millman <frank@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Thanks, Aidan. I did this, and I can confirm that the resulting tiff file
> has the bad resolution, so tiff2fax must be the culprit.

More specifically, the Ghostscript output tiff2fa relies on ;-(

> There does not seem to be an option to specify horizontal and vertical
> resolution separately.
>
> I read somewhere that one should use '--mode LineArt' for faxing. I tried
> this, the resulting image was smaller, and it faxed without loss of
> resolution, but the scan itself lost a lot of detail. The pre-printed form
> is a light blue, so some of the lines and boxes, and some of the
> handwriting, did not come out at all! Windows does not have this problem, so
> I don't think that is the answer.

Well, you *will* find lots of people who complain that their PDF and
Postscript documeents "don't look good" when faxed, *especially* when
the original uses colour and shading, as Ghostscript does a very poor
job of rendering them...  If you search the archives for that vein, you
can see the various things people have tried to do to make GS render
their stuff better.

And because tiff2fax relies on GS to re-render the tiff when the
resolution/size is wrong, it suffers from all the pitfalls GS does ;-(

One thing you might try doing is using "convert" (ImageMagick) instaad
of tiff2ps/gs  in tiff2fax.  Be careful though, convert sucks *gobs* of
ram, especially when working on multi-document tiff files.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103