Re: [hylafax-users] T.38 query #2 - SIP vs. IAX2

On Nov 22, 2008, at 6:46 AM, Michael wrote:

SIP vs. IAX2 - which is better for FoIP? either or the same?

(Of course using G711a/u)

I have found that SLIN is the best CODEC, rather then uLAW. As far as IAX vs. SIP, there's probably no difference at all, because the actual sound packets are the same. The difference is just in the connection protocol. IAX is good for NAT penetration, and IAX with trunking can minimize overhead when there are many concurrent calls. On a LAN this is not relevant. IAX has consistently failed me at random with stupid bugs, so I tend to avoid it except in the most controlled situations.