Re: [hylafax-users] Configuring HylaFAX on Fedora 9 (upstart vs init)

At 09:11 AM 9/20/2008, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

Here's one I use on my desktop to play with:
        root@corn:/var/spool/hylafax# cat /etc/event.d/faxgetty-ttyIAX0
        # ttyIAX0 - IAXModem

        start on stopped rc2
        start on stopped rc3
        start on stopped rc4
        start on stopped rc5

        stop on runlevel 0
        stop on runlevel 1
        stop on runlevel 6

respawn exec /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyIAX0 | logger -t 'ttyIAX0-FaxGetty-STDOUT' -p local2.debug 2| logger -t 'ttyIAX0-FaxGetty-STDERR' -p local2.warn
<<<<<

Good morning, Aidan.

I have taken yours and simplified it a little bit, mostly by removing the logger calls (for now)...

start on stopped rc2
start on stopped rc3
start on stopped rc4
start on stopped rc5

stop on runlevel 0
stop on runlevel 1
stop on runlevel 6

respawn
exec /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0

- - - - -

It does seem to sort of work... I reboot the machine (didn't think I needed to do that but I guess so) and said "ps aux | grep getty" and got a line that indicated that faxgetty was running on ttyS0.

A few questions...

1. Could I just say "start on stopped rc[2345]" and "stop on runlevel [016]"? I see that in the serial file in Fedora 9, they say "stop on runlevel [016]". (Note: I could just try it but if it doesn't complain I'll still not really know if it's working...)

2. The /etc/event.d/serial file apparently (not sure about this) sets up all available serial ports, at least that's what it vaguely looks like. If I set up faxgetty on ttyS0, won't that conflict with upstart's attempt (if that's what it's actually doing) to set /dev/ttyS0 using the serial file?

3. You show the "respawn" and "exec" on one line i.e. "respawn exec /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty..." but my installation complained about that on bootup, and I had to put the respawn on its own line. Not a big deal, certainly, but should I be able to run it all on one line like that? I ask only because if it works for you and not for me then that may point to some other boneheaded misconfiguration here.

4. You mentioned the documentation for upstart... the only documentation I've been able to find is a one-page "Getting Started" info sheet that assumes quite a bit of prior knowledge, and a wiki with an UpstartOnFedora page that significantly disconnects with what I see on Fedora 9 (that page was written in reference to Fedora 6). Is there any other documentation available?

I am plugging along... as of now I can get faxgetty, faxq, and hfaxd to all run... now to see if it can receive a fax...

Eric