Re: [hylafax-users] IRQ Overload

I've had numerous conversations with a few people regarding this topic...
Furthermore, I've done a lot of research on it... And I still don't know
for-certain what the problem is or how, exactly, to fix it.

What seems clear, however, is that there is a bug in the kernel serial
driver that is, for some reason, more prominent on newer kernel versions and
is, for some reason, more prominent when using high port-count IQ Express
fax cards (although there have been reports of this kind of thing using
other serial hardware and software).

There was a confirmed bug report with two patches from Robert Evans of
Stratus Technologies that circulated on the linux-serial mailing list on 13
August that dealt specifically with SMP systems.  (The systems on which I've
reproduced this problem have all been SMP.)  I do not know if the patches
were ever committed to the Linux kernel source repository - although one is
apparently in the RedHat 5.2 version - or if they will be making it in to a
subsequent kernel release.  Furthermore, I do not know if the patches will
resolve the matter.  (I have not tested them.)

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.serial/2633

Mainpine has chosen to develop a work-around to the problem which won't be
available for another few weeks.  Please check back with me for updates on
that.  Meanwhile, I would suggest reporting a bug to the kernel maintainer
for your distribution.  Please do point them at the above-mentioned URL.
Hopefully they can provide you with a patched kernel which you could test.

Thanks,

Lee.

Lee Howard
Mainpine, Inc. Software Development Lead
Tel: +1 866 363 6680 ext 5 | Fax: +1 360 462 8160
lee.howard@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com