Re: [hylafax-users] Empty pages

On 08.09.2008 at 19:37 (hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I try to avoid commenting on CAPI4HylaFAX cases because I know next to
> nothing about it.  My understanding is that CAPI4HylaFAX development has
> essentially ceased.

Sad, but it seems to be true. :-(

> Its developers never responded to my previous
> inquires to work in a more concerted approach.  It's quite possible that
> something in "recent" HylaFAX development has broken functionality with
> something in CAPI4HylaFAX, but I honestly don't know.

Do you or does any one else have some older source of code I could try?
It is somehow hard to come by. If I could get some version before 1.2 or
even earlier, I could try to compile it.

> The problem sounds to me like CAPI4HylaFAX's faxsend doesn't like the
> image that was prepared by faxq... at least on pages after the first.

How can I test this? As I mentioned before, I checked the tiff and the
ps file and both are complete. Is there any other file I should check as
well?

> I believe that there is an Asterisk channel driver for CAPI.  It would
> be a bit of work, but I've heard of people setting up Asterisk and then
> IAXmodem to get their CAPI devices working in a better way.  (Thus
> faxsend and faxgetty are the "modern" versions that come with HylaFAX.)

That sounds like an interesting project for my next vacation. ;-)

> It's a possibility.  However, if it's *always* cutting off right after
> the tag line, then I doubt it's the case.  If it were VoIP issues then
> the image would get cut off at seemingly random places on the page.

Well, to be sure, the tag line isn't even on the pages' top, it's in the
middle of the empty pages.

> My bet is on a CAPI4HylaFAX that is surfacing due to some kind of
> configuration that is somewhat unique on your system while somewhat
> uncommon on other CAPI4HylaFAX systems.

To make it even more suspicious: I met someone on the net, who has the
same problem, even though he uses a totally different Linux
distribution. But when we two exchange faxes, ever page is complete.
Inspecting the log files I discovered that the difference lies in the
speed: faxes between our two stations are exchanged at 9600 baud, while
faxes to other stations are sent at a much higher rate.

I guess there's no way of telling capi4hylafax to always use the lower
rate, is there?

--
Wolfgang Klein, Paderborn / Germany