Re: [hylafax-users] several ISDN questions

Hi Bodo,

On Thu, 21.08.2008 at 23:03:20 +0200, Bodo Meissner <bodo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Toni Mueller wrote, on 18.08.2008 10:15:
> |  * Installing Asterisk (but not configuring it, yet) was a no-brainer
> |    in a Lenny (beta) machine.
> I think learning how to configure Asterisk is the hardest part. IMHO it
> would be too much work if I need this only to get HylaFAX workin with my
> ISDN card and do not want to use Asterisk as a PBX.

I agree, but I actually want to use Asterisk as a PBX. Only that I've
been procrastinating.

> Sorry, this was a mistake from my side. It is not group but class 1.0.
> Dialogic (Eicon) Diva Server cards can work in class 1.0 and 2 (or
> 2.0?). I chose class 1 because I wanted the high level protocol stuff to
> be done by HylaFAY instead of the Dialogic (Eicon) driver.

Ok, understood. This raises the timing requirements on the fax server
considerably.

> | Regardless of whatever else I'm going to do, I'm not taking a binary
> | driver, no matter what. [...]
> | So, the Diva cards are out of bounds for me if I understood you
> | correctly.
>
> I did not make this clear. The driver from Dialogic is not a binary only
> driver. You have to compile the drivers for your kernel and need the
> kernel sources for this. It is normal that the driver sources are not
> necessarily compatible with newer kernels.

Yes and no, but apparently,

> In version 8.5-108-80 the sources of the TTY driver (the most
> interesting part) are hidden in an encrypted binary file "tty_compiler".
> Although it will be compiled on your system, you would need some hacks
> to see the sources. In version 8.5-108-106 the TTY driver is open source
> and the Dialogic (Eicon) support was very helpful.
>
> At least parts of the open sources are not free, so Linux distributions
> can not provide pre-compiled drivers from Dialogic's current sources.
> That's why the Eicon drivers in the Linux kernels are based on an older
> version with less features.

I haven't been excessively clear, too. For me,

   "open source" == conforms to DFSG

   (see http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines)

Or, in other words, if there are binary or otherwise non-free parts,
and/or I have to take the hassle of compiling my own kernel/not being
able to upgrade my kernel whenever, or for whatever reasons I want,
then this driver is a no-go area for me. Consequently, the affected
hardware is out of discussion. Been there, done that, failed
(miserably). Never again.

> If you use CAPI and capi4hylafax you cannot use all features of HylaFAX.
> That's why I would recommend to use a card with a TTY interface or use
> IAXmodem with Asterisk.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm probably giving it a try with Asterisk
and hope that the box will be sufficiently responsive in the presence
of a few other tasks.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
--Toni++