Re: [hylafax-users] FAX testing

Hi Steve,

I don't have experience with those tests in particular but I took some
telecommunications equipment (ISDN based video conferencing equipment)
my company was developing and manufacturing in Taiwan through a range
of tests in Australia some years ago.   We were obliged to outsource
the testing, which was predominantly focused on emissions levels and
network-facing electrical characteristics, to a dedicated organisation
that performs these types of tests regularly.

I remember vaguely that there were certain international tests (US /
European?) that could streamline validation of equipment for import in
to Australia, though I can't remember exactly which.

Perhaps you should look up what kind of testing your interface
hardware has passed (check the back of the documentation, stickers on
the hardware, or contact the manufacturer and/or importer).  It's
likely that a few tests have already been made.  In Australia, my
understanding is that there are legal requirements for importers to
show this documentation at the time of import, and I'd imagine it's
quite similar in most developed countries.

In terms of more rigorous higher level firmware-level testing for fax
equipment, I have no experience, but would be surprised if many
countries had requirements in this area.  If tests are not legally
required, then the likelihood that most equipment is ever tested at
this level is probably quite low.  Also, due to the nature of
electronics manufacturing, it's quite likely that most manufacturers
re-use firmware in different products or product-lines over time.  A
fair portion of these will probably also be licensing third-party
firmware.  What all this means is that repeatedly testing to a
rigorous level what amounts to essentially 'the same' firmware, over
and over again as it is released in slightly different products, is
something that neither manufacturers nor regulators probably have much
interest in doing.

Note that the above just represents my experience with other
telecommunications products - I am no expert in faxing.

Regards,
Walter