Re: [hylafax-users] queueing issue

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Howard [mailto:faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:05 PM
To: Siri Vias Khalsa
Cc: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] queueing issue

Siri Vias Khalsa wrote:
> When you have a lot of faxes in the sendq, the order of sending them
> out seems to be somewhat random, or at least not using logic that I
> can point to.
>
> In my testing, I have seen a newly submitted fax get sent out ahead of

> previously pending faxes, none of which had any problems, such as busy

> signals etc.
>
> In one test I submitted 79 documents (Jobs 20 through 99), all with
> the same, default, priority, all to the same fax number (it has
> multiple lines in a hunt group - more lines than the sending server).
> It immediately started sending out the first couple faxes (20,21) in
> the queue and the others were pending. Then it jumped ahead and sent
> out 24 and then 22 and then 54 and then 57 and then 23. It did have
> some spurts of 10ish sequential job numbers. Then I submitted another
> fax about halfway through the queue and it got immediately sent out.
>
> During this time there were no errors, no busy signals on any of the
> lines, and faxstat reported that they all went out on the first dial.
>
> I am concerned that with a large send queue faxes will get stranded
> until their expire time, especially in a system with a continual
queue.

> Does anyone have some insight into the problem, potential solutions or

> even an explanation of this behavior?

What version of HylaFAX are you using?

Are you submitting them all with the same time-to-send? Or are they all
just going in with some reference to "now"?

My experience [and very recent testing] with HylaFAX+ 5.2.4 sending
broadcast faxes to the same number using sendfax -z and referencing
"now" in the time-to-send shows them all getting sent in the order in
which they were submitted.

Thanks,

I am using HylaFAX 5.2.3 and submitting all of the faxes to go out
"now".
I am using the Perl module Fax::Hylafax::Client

I am attaching the pertinent log messages and would appreciate your
thoughts. One thing I noticed is that the COMMID is staying the same.
I do have MaxConcurrentCalls set to 20, is that whats messing me up?

If I had 8 lines outgoing and 10 lines incoming on the other side, would
it be fastest to set MaxConcurrentCalls = 1?

Looking back through my logs, it looks like that is what is happening.
All of the faxes to one number were queued up for the one line while the
fewer number of faxes went to the other, and since there was a line
available it sent newly submitted faxes out that line. I am including
this here in case anyone runs into this in the future.

Thanks,

-Siri Vias