Re: [hylafax-users] [SOLVED] FaxGetty[]: Can not deduce identity of UUCP

David wrote:
Now I have another problem..
Running "faxstat" doesn't return anything. It just sits there as if it were waiting for something. I have to Ctrl-C on the terminal to stop it.
*Sigh*

I'm assuming permission issues are causing all these problems. I have in the past locked the system down pretty tightly.
I've had one of my IT guys ask me why we're running Linux systems and not Windows servers, due to the issues I've been having.. Ouch.

Well, HylaFAX doesn't run on Windows, and so your IT guy's favorite operating system really isn't an option unless you plan on dropping HylaFAX.

You could try running 'faxstat -vv' to see if the verbosity helps show where the hang is coming from. Another option would be to run 'strace faxstat' to again see where it's hanging.

I'm not sure that doing things like changing the permissions on /etc/passwd and such really increases security. It would seem to me that the cause of your frustration isn't really the operating system itself, but the changes that have been made to it. Hrmm... I wonder if I'd have troubles if I toyed with things in the Windows registry. ;-)

Thanks,