Re: [hylafax-users] [SOLVED] FaxGetty[]: Can not deduce identity of UUCP

Thanks Lee,
I did check the users and groups and found that wasn't a problem.
I wrote a test application to check what was happening with the UUCP Lock function in the HylaFAX code:
#include <iostream>
#include </usr/include/pwd.h>
int main()
{
        const passwd *pwd = getpwnam("uucp");
        std::cout << "UID: " << pwd->pw_uid << "\n";
        std::cout << "GID: " << pwd->pw_gid << "\n";
        return 0;
}
Interestingly enough, it worked fine and returned the uid and gid as expected.
UID: 10
GID: 14

I solved the UUCP issue by mistake when I ran "vipw" from the shell.  I ran it then saved the passwd/shadow files without any changes.
It fixed the issue straight away and HylaFAX started listening on the modem.

I'm assuming my password file had too restrictive permissions?
It now has these permissions. I'm not entirely sure what it had before.

ls -al /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2610 Apr 18 16:58 /etc/passwd

Now I have another problem..
Running "faxstat" doesn't return anything.  It just sits there as if it were waiting for something.  I have to Ctrl-C on the terminal to stop it.
*Sigh*

I'm assuming permission issues are causing all these problems.  I have in the past locked the system down pretty tightly.
I've had one of my IT guys ask me why we're running Linux systems and not Windows servers, due to the issues I've been having..  Ouch.

I hope I get this sorted soon.  Thanks for the help Lee.
Best regards,
David

David wrote:
Apr 18 02:14:47 mtrx FaxGetty[16385]: Can not deduce identity of UUCP

It's on a Fedora Core 5 machine I've been having all the problems.

Do you not have a uucp user? Here' a Fedora Core 5 system:

# grep uucp /etc/passwd
uucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucp:/sbin/nologin

Do you not have the same?

FaxGetty is trying to determine how to lock modems, and without the uucp user it is having a tough time knowing what to do.

Thanks,

Lee.

www.desertcrystal.net

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions