Re: [hylafax-users] Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI-U OK?

Héctor Sánchez Sanmartín wrote:
Chris Weiss escribió:
I have a couple ISI5634UPCI/8's and they work well, but i do
occasionally get a wedged condition so I run a 2.4 kernel so that
their driver and reset util work. the modem works in 2.6 kernels, but
there is no reset util to unwedge a port, only a reboot will free it
up. I don't know if the ZPX is in the same boat though
Chris, I'm also experiencing these "wedging" troubles with a 2.6 kernel and a Multitech MT5656ZDXE (external/serial). But I cannot switch to 2.4 kernel...is there any way to reset the serial port without having to reboot? Is there any other modem which doesn't have this troubles???

The ZPX, ISI, and external Multitech's will all experience 'wedging' from time to time. The ZPX has no mechanism for resetting the modem without power cycling the server. The ISI has a reset mechanism on 2.4 Kernels but not on 2.6 Kernels. The external modems will sometimes recover if you power cycle the modem but often require a server power cycle for the serial driver to recover (in our testing this is true for both the RS232 and USB external modems).

Mainpine IQ Express fax boards are designed to give fax applications a programmatic mechanism for recovering from a 'wedged' state. This mechanism is used by a number of fax applications including HylaFAX. This works with any Kernel and Windows OS.

Mainpine IQ Express fax boards also include hardware to reduce the incidence of 'wedging' from sources outside of the modem chipset. This includes the Board Interrupt Status Register which we believe overcomes some issues with the serial driver. The BISR was a standard register on the first generation of ISA multiport serial boards and was unfortunately removed from most hardware in the name of 'progress'.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 866 363 6680 | UK +44 1225 807 807
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com