Re: [hylafax-users] Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI-U OK?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Chris Weiss <cweiss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a couple ISI5634UPCI/8's and they work well, but i do
>  occasionally get a wedged condition so I run a 2.4 kernel so that
>  their driver and reset util work.  the modem works in 2.6 kernels, but
>  there is no reset util to unwedge a port, only a reboot will free it
>  up.  I don't know if the ZPX is in the same boat though

I've looked into these ISI5634UPCI cards and I found at least 2 negative things.
1: the sheer size of the card... I mean.. it's about 30cm in length..
good luck fitting that into a server. If your someone like me who
needs to make use of space.
2: They don't even support JBIG compression.

Someone else mentioned the problem about needing to reboot the server
if the modem gets wedged. Sorry but no one wants to reboot their
server and who wants to keep with a 2.4 kernel?

I still see the MainPine IQ Express cards as the ideal choice. First
of all they are purely made for Fax. those multitech cards.. although
they are good hardware they're not made to be fax boards, they're also
dialup modems for remote access as well.

The IQ Express cards are smaller, fit more (8 ports, that's like
having 8 fax machines in 1 card) and no reboot if any gets wedged.
Anyways that's my 2 cents.