Re: [hylafax-users] Serial Port trouble with VMware

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 9:52 AM, michael hernandez
<mikehernandez99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is anyone running their server on VMware?  I am running OpenSuse10.3 as my
> base OS and installed Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - SP1 as a virtual
> machine with VMware.
>
> I was able to get Hylafax 5.2.3 installed and running.  However, I am having
> issues with communicating with my external hardware modem ( Trendnet TFM -
> 560X).  I set up the virtual serial port for the modem as directed by
> VMware's instructions, but still unable to communicate with the modem on the
> virtual machine.
>
> http://pubs.vmware.com/server1/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm
>
> The virtual machine runs as good as the stand alone except for this "serial
> port" issue that I am experiencing.  Everything worked on a stand alone OS.

This is somewhat beside the point, but it seems like a good time to
throw in my 2 cents for serial over Ethernet. We've been buying used
Moxa devices (DE-303, DE-308, Nport 5610) for about 100 bucks each on
ebay. You can buy new, but they will run you around $700-$800. Moxa
provides Linux drivers and they are perfect for a virtual server. No
hardware configuration needed, everything is over Ethernet. The Moxa
drivers create virtual tty ports and hylafax never knows the
difference. We run hylafax in a virtual machine with 6 modems on the
Moxa. With the exception of the occasional wedged modem (they are very
old modems), it just works.

If you just have one modem, Moxa makes an affordable single-port
device too. The above mentioned hardware is all 8 or 16 ports.

--
Jeff