Re: [hylafax-users] Serial Port trouble with VMware

michael hernandez wrote:
Is anyone running their server on VMware? I am running OpenSuse10.3 as my base OS and installed Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 - SP1 as a virtual machine with VMware.

I was able to get Hylafax 5.2.3 installed and running. However, I am having issues with communicating with my external hardware modem ( Trendnet TFM - 560X). I set up the virtual serial port for the modem as directed by VMware's instructions, but still unable to communicate with the modem on the virtual machine.

http://pubs.vmware.com/server1/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm

The virtual machine runs as good as the stand alone except for this "serial port" issue that I am experiencing. Everything worked on a stand alone OS.
Remove the modem and plug in a RS232 loop-back connector that includes the hardware handshake lines. Then, send/receive large files over the 'looped-back' serial port while keeping the system hard drive busy (try streaming video or something similar). If you can run this test for several hours without any data corruption then you can assume that the serial interface is working OK 'under' VMware and then move onto testing the modem.

Please remember that when you 'virtualize' the hardware you introduce another layer of software between the UART chip and the serial driver... in my experience this removes the deterministic nature of the interface. Personally, I'm amazed that this ever works.... and sometimes it never does !

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 866 363 6680 | UK +44 1225 807 807
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com