Re: [hylafax-users] MS Outlook as Hylafax client

-----Original Message-----
From: hylafax-users-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx On Behalf Of George H

> I do the same ... plain text only and/or PDF, we tell our employees
> not to use HTML formatted emails when sending faxes. And if they want
> fancy stuff we encourage them to use OpenOffice and export to PDF.. or
> they can use our "PDF Printer" we installed where they can print
> anything out to a PDF.
>
> It's not so limited when you think about it and most people get used
> to it after a short period of time.

Hah, that's the hard part for me, telling people to "get used to it".  They expect a certain level of functionality and ease for some reason, so emulating that is proving to be tricky (but interesting).

That said, html2ps is actually rather accurate here.  A test word document sent off via mail-merge came out a bit odd, but that's because floating objects (textboxes, pictures) were being used.  I'm testing a conversion to plain formatted document style to see how well that converts.

The trick for us is we do a lot of fax blasting, especially our sales folks, and they've got these fancy MS Word coversheets laid out.  If I can tweak'em enough to come out half-decent on a fax, I think they'll be able to live with it.  Anything manual (like printing to PDF and submitting/emailing to the fax queue separately) is too manual, epsecially when you've got 600-1000 to do.  I do have a SalsaFax component working, which would work, but I'd have to cook up VBA macros to cut the pages up right.  So I thought I'd try getting a mail merge component working first.

If I have any success, I'll post back with my findings.

Cheers!,

--Josh