Re: [hylafax-users] login error 550 cannot set privileges

* GianLuca Sarto <glsarto@xxxxxxxxxx> [080207 11:23]:
> Hello All,
>
> I have another error that bugs me.
>
> Sometimes, it seems that Hylafax does not load properly, when I reboot
> the server locked by the HDLC error.
> Users get "login error 550 cannot set privileges".

Can you show us the actuall error message fromthe log file?

set ServerTracing to 0xFFFF in /etc/hylafax/hfaxd.conf and you should
get  logs of hfaxd logs in syslog (/var/log/deamon.log on debian I
beleve).

> I /sudo /etc/init.d/hylafax/ /restart/ and then everybody is happy.
>
> However, I would like to track down the problem.
> How can I troubleshoot this?

When the problem is happening, syslog output would be good first step.

After that, "strace" could be useful.    Find the $PID of the hfaxd
process and then:
	strace -tt -ff -o /tmp/hfaxd.strace -s 256 -p $PID

Show the problem a couple of times (you should see a new
/tmp/hfaxd.strace.XXXXX files appear for every hfaxd connection made),
and then stop the strace, and send all the /tmp/hfaxd.strace files to
me.  Make sure that the ServerTracing is set high before doing this
(seeing the logging in the log file makes it easier to follow the
execution in the strace output).

> Also, I run Hylafax 4.4.0 on an Ubuntu 7.10 server box.
> I have found out that there is an Hylafax+ v.5, also.
> Should I move to Hylafax+ and hope to solve my modem problems ?!
> I did not find a package for Ubuntu, though.

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             aidan@xxxxxxxx
Senior Software Developer                          +1 215 825-8700 x8103