Re: [hylafax-users] Only answer from known faxes

Ryan Oertel wrote:
I'm having some trouble configuring Hylafax to only answer the phone when receiving a call from a known phone number. I've played with the DynamicConfig parameter a bit and have made a script which sends the "RejectCall: false" for the numbers I wish to receive faxes from (otherwise, it sends "RejectCall: true".)

1) do you need to set the RingsBeforeAnswer to a low number? I'd like voice mail to pick up for most calls.

No, RingsBeforeAnswer does not need to be anything in particular. Be aware, though, that on some lines and modems Caller*ID does not come until after the 1st RING.

2) when does the DynamicConfig program get called? As soon as caller id information is received? After the RingsBeforeAnswer number of rings?

It is invoked when the call is "answered"... thus in most cases when RingsBeforeAnswer is reached.

3) Where is the proper place to initialize caller ID? I've got it in the ModemResetCmds setting in the config.modem file (modem is a link to ttyS0)

I don't understand what you mean by "initialize caller ID".

4) Sometimes, my DynamicConfig program returns the "Bad exit status 0177400". What's the best way to trace this? I think it's related to permissions.

You'll want to add some debugging to it... like at the top of the script add:

set -x
exec 2> /tmp/dynamic-config.$$

Then you'll get shell -x debugging information in that /tmp/ file.

Thanks,