[hylafax-users] here is what I did to get sendmail to receive faxes

An old friend of mine has been helping me out with sendmail. And now it is working. So after pestering all of you here, I will share what works for me, and maybe Lee might change the sendmail howto!

The goal is to recieve mail addressed to: user@fax#.fax.foo.com and send the fax to phone number fax# to user.

First challenge is a DNS one: Set up a pseudo domain. Note that RFCs on sendmail make warnings about pseudo domains. This is perhaps one of the few valid uses of pseudo domains.

Given a host name of the Hylafax server of fax.foo.com create the folllowing DNS record:

*.fax.foo.com. IN MX 10 fax.foo.com.

Next are changes in sendmail. In your realy-domain file add the line:

fax.foo.com

Append these lines to your sendmail.mc file:

define(`FAX_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/faxmail')dnl
define(`FAX_MAILER_ARGS',`faxmail -d -n -p 12pt $u@$h $f')dnl
MAILER(`fax')dnl

make the sendmail.cf file and edit the line:

R$+ < @ $+ .FAX. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user@xxxxxxxx

R$+ < @ $+ .fax.foo.com. > $#fax $@ $2 $: $1 user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Customize from this point to your needs.

To avoid having to edit sendmail.cf ever time you change sendmail.mc you can edit:

/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/proto.m4 (this is where it is in my Centos 5 system)

Then you probably only have to make the changes when you get a bind update....

Oh, I have not tested PDFs or other attachments. The fax is also our copier and my wife is using it for a while tonight :)