Re: [hylafax-users] Hardware suggestions to get Hylafax running?

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 22:44 +0200, George H wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008 10:38 PM, Andrew Rinaldi <andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > George H wrote:
> > > Brooktrout also requires you to install a software licence key to
> > > enable features on the hardware.. don't like that at all. I did find
> > > Multitech's MultiModem II rather interesting. A few hundred bucks for
> > > it and you got a pretty reliable modem. You could get a few of those
> > > for the price of 1 fax board.
> >
> > Sure, you can invest in old hardware and ten year old chipsets... but is
> > that really what you want if this is an important deployment ?  Where is
> > the HylaFAX support or regular fax firmware upgrades ?
> >

> Well yeah your right about regular fax firmware upgrades. Then again
> he stated his budget is well under a thousand bucks. I do understand
> how that feels. I was in the same situation, my modems aren't even
> brand new.. they were old 56K multitechs chucked in some box in our
> supply depot and my budget was just enough to get a PC. But hey..
> hylafax+ is damn well amazing and worked with the modems to the point
> where everyone was impressed and started to realize the importance of
> quality and industrial strength hardware. This is where those nice
> faxboards come into play.
>
> Sometimes we all don't start off with everything we want, but good
> support is always handy.

Personally, I've picked up at least 2 used 8-analog-port Digi boards off
ebay for around $200 each.  I figure even if 1 goes bad, I can buy 2
more replacements before I hit the cost of a new one.   They're pretty
rare, so you have to watch for them, but I don't think it's taken me
more than a couple weeks of keeping an eye out to pick one up.  Watch
out for the ISA card sellers who don't tell you what kind of card it
is...

They work, and while I did have driver issues, I also got pretty quick
kernel modules (I was new to the Debian way).

Rick