Re: [hylafax-users] Client For Windows Vista

Terry wrote:
I seem to not be understanding something here - what good is the client without the server?

I thought I understood that the server is what talks to the fax modem/machine and the client then is a front end to the server. ksendfax, gfax are two clients.

Am I missing something here? Probably :-)

Hi Terry,

The HylaFAX server is designed to run on Posix compatible operating systems such as Linux, Unix, BSD, etc. It does not run on Windows.

You are correct that the HylaFAX server talks to the fax 'modem'.

HylaFAX clients are designed to run on many different operating systems including Windows. They communicate with the HylaFAX server over the LAN.

In a typical deployment you will have a HylaFAX server running on a PC with a Posix operating system, and multiple HylaFAX clients running on PC's with Windows or Posix operating systems. The server and clients will communicate over the LAN.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com