Re: [hylafax-users] Is this evidence of line noise ?

George H wrote:
I was told that there is 'routing' being done from inside the switch
that routes the modem traffic to the E1 and to the FXO. I read a bit
of the cisco docs (something I really didn't want to do because it is
completely out of my scope and skill set) and find out that according
to cisco those ports support faxing and are made to interface with
faxmachines. So I don't know how to go about debugging the problem to
conclude with "that big expensive piece of hardware is causing 20% of
our clients connection errors" while the other 80% are doing fine. You
understand my situation.

I understand your situation. It's also important to understand that a great deal of equipment, and many IP based phone services, say that they 'support faxing' without really defining what that means. In my experience, few IP based systems 'really' meet the levels of reliability and compatibility that business customers expect from fax.

I cannot say with certainty that IP is giving you these problems but that's my hunch based on customer experience. One 'simple' test that you could undertake is to put a modern fax machine on one of your cisco FXS ports and then broadcast to it from another fax machine off site (many business class fax machines can undertake a multi-page broadcast). IF you then get problems you will have a very powerful argument for your management and the cisco support people.

Regards

Andrew Rinaldi
Mainpine Developer Support
USA +1 503 822 9944 | UK +44 8458 909438
andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx | www.mainpine.com