Re: [hylafax-users] List of compatible modems

George H wrote:
On Jan 10, 2008 9:02 PM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 10, 2008 11:52 AM, Andrew Rinaldi <andrew.rinaldi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lucas wrote:
I am using 2 usr modems with no problems so I am not sure why USR wouldn't
be compatible with hyalfax?

Many more users report problems with USR modems than report success....
indeed when you include the results from other fax servers the number is
overwhelming.  If you look through the HylaFAX archives you will find many
examples of USR bugs.... if I remember correctly Lee showed some examples
this week.

How many of these complains refer to US Robotics; External: Model 5686E model

If they have any other model then 5686E then I can't say it will work
with hylafax, but I can almost guarantee that 5686E will.

You'll probably have to do what I did. See the statistics outputted by recvstats and see the percentage of errors overall.

Could you write down few commands for using recvstats?

recvstats ttyS1 ? or some other options?

I never used recvstats so if you could tell me what to look for ? what is success and what is not? how to get the percentage etc.

Lucas

When I track down
some cases it is the case that my USR modem does not return a OK,
CONNECT, or ERROR response to a +FTH=3 command and then anything else
after that the modem times out. So that's one bug with it that I saw.

Another was sending batch faxes, it would send a fax twice, 1 with an
error the second would succeed. Yeah it works with hylafax and it
receives and sends.. but after a while you notice you need something
better.

Never tried the model you have, but if you get no errors reported by
hylafax then I'd say you come across some good luck.