Re: [hylafax-users] List of compatible modems

On Jan 10, 2008 9:08 PM, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> * Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski@xxxxxxxxx> [080110 13:03]:
>
> > How many of these complains refer to US Robotics; External: Model 5686E model
> >
> > If they have any other model then 5686E then I can't say it will work
> > with hylafax, but I can almost guarantee that 5686E will.
>
> I don't think *anybody* is saying they "don't work with HylaFAX".
> HylaFAX will *surely* work with them.  It's that many people (most?)
> have run into *other* fax devices that the USR modems seem to regularly
> not work with.
>
> So, it's not that HylaFAX won't work with "USR modems", it's that many
> people experience that USR modems don't work with the other fax machines
> they are trying to fax to/from.  And of course, this is as relative as
> their definition of "other".
>
> So, depending on your choice/selection of "other", your fax success rate
> using HylaFAX and a USR modem can range from 0%, to 100%, or anywhere in
> between.

He's got a point. My statistics show that I have around 624 unique
senders (TSIs) that send me faxes. 66 of them cannot send me a fax at
ALL! The session logs show the USR modem crashing during Phase C and
timing out ..etc. Another 64 of them have individual failure rates of
40% +. I looked at their logs too.. they got errors in phase C as well
and depending on how good the sender's fax machine is.. they recover
from the crash and continue.. or not. I replaced 2 USR modems with
Multitech 5600ZDX and they stopped getting those errors.